Wednesday, July 20, 2005

KABOOM! Terrorists strike at the heart of Leathertown!

According to Jenn's Julie from Acton on Breakfast Television, there was a big fire in Acton that had the town shut down during rush hour this morning.

Here's what REALLY happened...

There was a loud bang this morning around 6:15-6:30ish. Julie and I thought it was just our neighbour slamming her door on the way out to work.

As I left for my horrendously long commute to work at 6:50, I heard a lot of sirens. I figured that there was an accident or something as the cops in Halton Hills have been acting rather nutty the last few days.

I didn't think anything of this until around 8am when one of my coworkers arrived and said that something crazy was going on in Acton. Supposedly the whole main street was blocked off by a bunch of fire engines and cruisers.

On my various trips back and forth to Georgetown with the guys today, I noticed that there were a lot of emergency vehicles parked on this little back road that loops around behind the Old Hide House. They were right near the railroad tracks which led me to believe that there must have been some kind of train vs. auto accident at that crossing.

Boy, was I ever wrong.

Turns out that the local sulphur plant blew up this morning. That was what the big bang was. According to the guy at the LCBO and at Shopper's Drug Mart, the silo/tower thingy in the picture below went straight up in the air and the siding went flying everywhere.



From what I've heard nobody was badly hurt. I'm going to see if there's anything on Global News or City TV news around supper time. The lady at Shopper's said that the terrorists must have been trying to destroy the Old Hide House but missed. Silly lady.

---
What I'm Reading: Harry Potter
What I'm Playing: Killer 7, Super Mario World on my GBA
What I'm Watching: Garrett get a really bad fever and then get cranky

No comments: