Friday, March 26, 2004

Screeeeeech THUMP

Another cool thing happened to me to day at work.

I was in the kitchen having some leftover soup when I heard a loud squawking noise coming from outside and growing steadily louder. Suddenly I hear the aforementioned "SCREEEEEECH" followed by a thump.

I figured that a bird must have flown into the dining room window so I went to the back door and looked outside.

Lo and behold, there's a bird in the middle of the backyard, flopping around. I watched it for a few moments to see if it was ok or not and then it sort of sat up straight.

"Wow! A peregrine falcon! In our backyard!" thought I.

I was just about to go outside to see if it was ok when it started to flap its wings as though trying to fly. I figured that it would only get a little ways since it had probably drilled the window pretty hard on its flight into the side of the house. Then I notice something even more interesting.

It's got another bird in its claws! The screeching squawking noise wasn't the falcon, it was the bird the falcon was chasing. I figure that the other bird was trying to get away from the falcon when it slammed into the window and knocked itself out, thus becoming easy pickings for Herr Falconheimer. The falcon made it over the fence and flew down into the neighbours yard, probably to have a nice breakfast away from my prying eyes.

So that was my cool story. Gotta love watching nature at work, deadly ninja style.

No comments: