Friday, November 28, 2003

I had an interesting morning on Thursday.

There I was, minding my own business when my neighbour wandered over and asked for a ride over to the bus because she was having an allergic reaction to something and needed to go to her doctor.

I figured that I may as well as it was just across town to the bus stop. Once we were in the car, she then told me that her throat and mouth weren't feeling right. At this point I decided that there was no way I was just going to drop her off and hope the bus made it to her in time so I drove her down to the doctor in Georgetown.

Now, this would be no big deal except for the fact that this was Squarehead, the crazy newfie lady who lives next door to me. We've never really gotten along with Squarehead. It's not that we've had big arguments or anything with her. It's just that she's a little... odd.

We say hi when she's outside and she just glares at us. And she's the one with the yappy dog that sits outside and barks all summer long. Not only that, her family must own shares in a tobacco company given the sheer volume of smoke that pours out all summer long (and in the winter when they open their doors). Add to that the fact that every night at around 3am their son comes by in his big diesel truck, chugging away and that almost every other day we have to listen to her scream at the granddaughter that she babysits.

Yes. This is the one that was telling the little girl back in the summer to go up to her room and light herself on fire, or something along those lines. And the girl is only about 4.

So we're not huge fans of Squarehead. Her husband is nice, but seems dominated by her.

So all of this was going through my head as I saw her walking up my walkway and over to my door. But how can you turn someone away who needs help? I can't...

And it turns out we had a nice little chat about the people who lived in the end unit of our complex (the one with the roaches) and about Christmas and kids and such.

Maybe she won't be so frosty when she sees us outside. It seems like she lives a very sheltered life, but I'm not going to go over there to play bridge anytime soon.

Add to this the fact that I was waiting for the UPS guy to deliver my games and I was getting a little antsy. Yesterday I'd missed the UPS guy by 2 whole minutes (I left for work at 12:30, he showed up to deliver the packages at 12:32... sigh)

I was just thinking, "Man, if I miss the UPS guy today because of you, lady, I'm going to find out what made you sick and pump your house full of it!"

But I didn't miss Mr. UPS. And I made $5 off Squarehead that I can put towards lunch or a coffee. So it wasn't all bad. And I got to fulfill my weekly allotment of good deeds... or did I use them all up? I'm not sure :)

At least I got out of the house, I guess....

No comments: