Wednesday, November 19, 2003

Here's one more thought I had today while I was waxing metaphysical on the subject of child rearing...

I wonder what it'll be like for our kids while they grow up as opposed to us. I'm talking about the kids born to Julie & me, as well as Luke & Anne and other kids being born at this general point in time. Some might even call them a generation of kids...

But I digress. What I was saying was I was thinking that it'll be interesting to see how these kids are raised especially by people like Luke, my brother Grant and myself. For us, our parents grew up with the TV and radio as their electric entertainment devices and even that was in a rudimentary fashion. People of my generation grew up riding the cusp of the computer revolution and subsequent entertainment spin-offs like the ubiquitous videogame and so forth.

So while people my age will play games, they're still mainly seen by our parents and others older than us as kids' toys. However, we think of them as something more. The way our parents view the TV as an everyday instrument of entertainment, we now view games and computers in general in much the same way.

So for our kids, rather than having parents who don't understand what you're playing and, at least in my case, actively discouraging your playing them, our kids will have parents who will be able to get right in there and play and converse at the same level since we'll be excited about the newest game that our kid is excited about.

I know that this does happen to some degree already, but I think that people around my age and younger are really the first ones to have experienced the full onslaught of gaming and computers. I was just thinking about this as I was driving home as it would be a marked difference between the relationship I had with my dad, at least with regard to this particular hobby, and the one I hope to have with my child/children.

Though I think I might resist making a mobile for the crib out of dualshock controllers.

No comments: