Saturday, July 18, 2009

Older Is Not Always Better

Do not eat old gum.

That is the moral of this story.

We went out to the Trunk Sale this morning and Garrett bought a couple of packs of Ghostbusters 2 trading cards that were still sealed with sticks of gum inside. I had a look at the date on the back saw that these cards (and the gum) were made in 1989.

Suffice it to say, I took the gum away from Garrett before he could scarf it down. Then I thought to myself, "As a connoisseur of old, stale candy, the opportunity to sample a 20 year old stick of gum comes but once!"

So I nibbled off a corner of one of the sticks and promptly spat it out. It tasted of pain and disease and sorrow. I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for another 20 minutes or so and it took the combined efforts of a double-shot macciato and cinnamon bun from the local coffee shop to get rid of the foul, powder taste of death.

Don't eat 20 year old gum. I did this for you!

No comments: