Monday, October 22, 2007

Death Of A Kite

Yesterday was such a beautiful (and windy) day that Garrett and I couldn't resist the urge to hit the park with our kite.

So off we went. We walked over to Prospect Park in Acton as it has the best field to fly kites in. All went well as we got the kite up instantly and it was a fight to keep it from flying away.

Garrett wanted to try his hand at flying it so I handed the string and spool over to him. He was almost dragged off the ground from the sheer force of the wind but had a blast running back and forth around the park.

I had walked a little way down the field to be ready for the eventual crash when Garrett came running up holding the spool... and no kite string. I looked up and there was the kite, floating away down the field towards the huge trees at the end of the park.

Garrett & I took off running after the kite. By this time the end of the string was a good 30 feet off the ground so I was just hoping it would snag on a tree and we could figure out how to get it down from there.

We weren't fast enough and I lost it as it floated off towards Main street and beyond. Garrett & I began the quest for the lost kite. I'm still surprised it didn't get tangled in a power line or a tree. Heck, I was sure it was going to come down on Main Street and cause an accident.

Thankfully it ended up blowing all the way over to the school parking lot a good 2 blocks away. The plastic was a little torn but I figured it would still fly again... until Garrett picked it up and we found that the arm was broken.

Into the garbage it went. Oh well. It was only a $2 kite from the dollar store and it lasted us a good year or so, so no complaints. At least it died doing what it loved... flying recklessly over an urban area :)

No comments: