Friday, July 23, 2004

Me? Robot?

I went out with the guys tonight to see I, Robot.

I have to say that I actually really enjoyed the movie. I originally had no urge to see it whatsoever when I learned that it was going to be an action movie starring Will Smith. Then I saw a trailer or two and it looked intriguing to say the least.

The fact that I haven't read a single webcomic or posting on the net saying that it is utter dreck (unlike, oh, Catwoman), piqued my curiousity as well.

Well, now that I've seen it, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sure, Asimov is spinning in his grave so fast that you could hook him up to a turbine and run a large city, but as a kick-ass action movie, it worked!

There are a few pretty nifty set pieces, namely the car vs. trucks sequence, the final battle and the demolition bot. Plus the design on the robots was really neat. They were very human-looking, yet also very robotic at the same time. Check out the cool site they have where you can 'order' your own NS-5.



Here's a closer look at one of the robots head on.


Of course they glow a handy red when they turn evil. That's always nice.

Sure, I, Robot has a lot of silly action movie logic gaps and plot holes, but overall the movie holds up for the two hours it runs and there's lots of big explosions and cool effects to keep you from thinking :)

Also, Sonny, the central robot of the movie, is amazing. Very well played for a character that looks exactly the same as the 1000's of other robots running around in the movie.

No comments: