Saturday, July 24, 2004

Good Ol' Terra Firma

Well, today I did something that I've managed to avoid doing ever since I came back to the GTA.

I went to work.

:)

Actually, I did go to work, but therein lies the crux of the matter. For today was the day that I finally went up the CN Tower.

I went out with the brave Sir Eddy on a one-on-one day trip today. He really wanted to go downtown and visit Casa Loma and the CN Tower, so that's what we did. It was a beautiful day for trundling around downtown too. We were downtown earlier in the week with the guys for a harbour cruise and it was so smoggy and hot that you could barely see the CN Tower from Queen's Quay. Today it was so clear and sunny that you could probably have seen my house from the top of the tower.

Now, I've managed to avoid going up the CN Tower since I returned to the GTA to go to school in the mid 1990's. Sure, I did a lot of the arcadey stuff at the bottom of the tower, but there was just no way you'd get me up that thing. Nu-uh!

Well, now that I have done it, I have to say that it wasn't THAT bad. Thankfully both on the elevator ride up and down we were the first two people in the car which meant that I could hug the back wall of the car for the whole trip up. I think that I was more or less used to it on the way down though as I wasn't as nervous.

For me the worst part was when I stepped off the elevator at the top. I'm not sure if it was the slight sway of the tower in the wind or if it was just that my knees were all wobbly from the ride up, but I felt like I had just stepped off a boat that had been on high seas. I almost staggered around for a while before I found the inner paths that didn't have a sky view and that let me get my bearings again and after that I was leaning up against the glass, taking pictures galore.

Heck, we even walked all the way around the open observation deck!

I didn't see the glass floor though. I'm not bemoaning that fact. It's just that there were about a zillion people waiting in line for the down elevator and nobody was directing traffic, so wherever the glass floor was, I never ended up seeing it. Oh well.

I wouldn't mind going up the tower, but I think I'd like to go in winter and in the evening. That would be neat.

I was also really impressed with Casa Loma. I'd never managed to get to visit it in all my time puttering around downtown and it was pretty neat. Gorgeous architecture, that's for sure.

Anyway, I'm tired and my feet are sore. I just got home from work and I got there at 9am, so I'm beat. Time to go put my feet up and snooze.

No comments: