Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Missives From The Kids

Most of these little updates/quotes didn't warrant an entire post of their own, so I'll just lump them all together.

----
We recently turned Kara's car seat around in the Mazda 5. We found out that, despite traveling the winding roads of Halton Hills for the past year or so with nary a complaint, Kara does NOT enjoy the roller coaster experience that such driving engenders when she can actually see the dips and dives. The last chunk of our drive home on Monday was pretty much a symphony of screams followed by silence as Kara looked out the window in bug-eyed terror at each turn in the road.

It was pretty funny, especially with Garrett egging her on by throwing his hands in the air at every hill and hollering in mock terror.

----

We were at the Early Year's Center this morning and Garrett was cutting some paper. I asked him what he was doing.

"Cutting out my name."

"Why?"

"I don't like it."

"You don't like Garrett?"

"Nope."

"What are you going to be called?"

"Lloyd Jameson."

"Ooookay...."

----

It was the annual trip to the Acton Fire Hall today. Due to me being the only dad in the group, I was drafted to play the role of Sparky The Fire Dog. If your recall from past trips to the Fire Hall, Sparky looked a bit like Sparky The Undead Fire Dog. The costume of yore has been retired and I got to wear a new Sparky outfit today. It was pretty fun to ham it up without having to say anything. Plus it's always interesting to see the kids' reactions. It alternates between pure joy to abject terror, sometimes with the same kid.

Kara, in particular, was vacillating between wanting to reach out to Sparky and bawling her eyes out whenever I turned the costume's giant head towards her. I'd hoped to get a picture of me (as Sparky) holding Kara but when I reached out to hold her, she just burst into tears and was shaking with fear. Oh well.

I did get a few pictures of the kids with the usual "Stand Back 150 Meters" sign and I'll upload them later tonight.

No comments: