Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Cicada Killer Killer

We got back from our trip abroad (leaving the GTA feels like leaving the country, so there) to find that there were a couple of piles of dirt in our backyard where the patio stones connected. I thought they were just a few anthills until a couple of giant demon wasps emerged. I was able to kill one last night and after digging up the holes and filling the spaces in the stones, I ended up trapping the second one this morning.

I did a bit of research and it turns out that my unholy house guests are actually Eastern Cicada Killer wasps. Given that I really like Cicadas and can't stand wasps, I don't feel bad for smiting these two beasties.

At least they weren't a true threat to the kids or anything. I thought they were going to pick Kara up and fly her off to the swamp, they were that big...

No comments: