Friday, May 30, 2008

A Member Of The Playstation Underground (Literally, Once Julie Gets Through With Me)

So...

I picked up a PS2 today that can play PS3 games and Blu-Ray discs.

I now can say that I have EVERY system. EVERY SYSTEM.

The local indie game shop, Geekdom, had a used 60 GB PS3 in the store when I stopped in there yesterday with a guy from work. It was going for $360 (which is a little lower than the usual price on Ebay) and given that it's the only model of PS3 available that has the PS2 hardware onboard for backwards compatibility (and the fact that they don't make the 60 GB model any more), I had a very hard time NOT picking it up right then and there.

Thankfully, cooler heads prevailed and I came home to mull it over. This morning, I gathered up a LOT of my older games that have been gathering dust and $300 in trade-ins later (and $100 out of my pocket), I was on my way home with a pretty snazzy new movie player.

Now I need to rent a Blu-Ray movie to convince Julie that the thing is actually a good value. Concidering that I was going to drop $150-200 on a new screen for that busted laptop (which isn't happening), $100 for a Blu-Ray player that also happens to play some PS3 and PS2 games isn't a bad value! REALLY!

I don't have any PS3 games right now but Metal Gear Solid 4 is out in about 2 weeks and I shall christen the system with it, if I don't get some PS3 titles from GetGames in the meantime.

Funny little postscript to this story: After my first visit to Geekdom yesterday, I then stopped off at EB. While I was there, I chatted with the clerk about seeing this rare 60 PS3 at Geekdom. He mentioned that there had been a guy in at EB earlier in the week trying to trade in a 60 GB PS3 but when he couldn't get cash, he left. Shortly after the guy's visit, the cops called to say that there had been a break-in recently and that one of the items stolen was a 60 GB PS3 and to be on the look out for anyone trying to offload one.

So I was concerned that the PS3 might be hot and called Geekdom to fill them in. Thankfully, they got the serial numbers off of the guy at EB and they're not the same, so I'm not worried about the cops busting my door down once I go online with the thing. Still...

The other downside is that I've been reformatting the drive for the past 4 hours. I think it's almost ready to go though, so I'm going to fire up Shadow Of The Colossus or something to see how they look upscaled.

Oh, did I mention you can also cook on the thing?

No comments: