Saturday, August 05, 2006

This one is for Anne

Breast isn't best, according to a bunch of puritanical American women. I heard about this last week and it was stupid then. Just read the news story about it today and it's STILL stupid.

Take a look at the picture and then read some of these comments.

"I was SHOCKED to see a giant breast on the cover of your magazine," one woman from Kansas wrote in reaction to the picture in Babytalk, a free magazine that caters to young mothers. "I was offended and it made my husband very uncomfortable when I left the magazine on the coffee table."

So, if it's so offensive, just turn it over, rip the cover off or throw it out. I could understand feeling uncomfortable if the magazine actually sent over a nursing mother and you just couldn't handle the sight of the exposed breast, but yeesh.

Oh, and there's this gem.

"Gross, I am sick of seeing a baby attached to a boob," the mother of a four-month-old said.


There is so much wrong with that statement.

I'm not the crazy La Leche League proponent of breastfeeding like SOME people I know, but even I think this is a stupid complaint to have. If the picture had been on the cover of Pokemon Trading Card Weekly, sure, but it's completely in context for the magazine it was published on and given the amount of boob shown on TV, in the movies and just about everywhere else, this picture is rather tame. Heck, the baby could just be taking a big bite out of someone's butt for all that you can see of the offending organ.

Silly, silly, puritanical Americans...

No comments: