Monday, July 10, 2006

'Tis The Summer For Movies

I've been out to more movies so far this summer than I usually get to in a year. There's a brand new theatre in Milton now so it's not going to be quite the excursion to see flicks in a decent venue anymore.

I caught Superman Returns last week and Pirates Of The Carribean: Dead Man's Chest this past weekend. I really enjoyed them both.

Superman was astounding and really brought back the first couple of Christopher Reeve Superman movies. Kevin Spacey just chewed on the scenery for the whole movie as Lex Luthor and would easily have made the film great on his own but the entire cast AND story was well done. Even the nameless henchmen are fascinating to watch. It's a shame that it hasn't done as well as they thought it would have given the quality of the movie. Compared the the lacklustre X-Men 3, Superman really showed that it was Bryan Singer's direction that made the first two X-Men movies so good. My only complaint is that there is a string of false endings that tack on about 20 minutes or so to the ending of the movie and it kind of drags there. What happens is all worthwhile, it is just a lot slower than the rest of the film and given that the movie clocks in at around 2 1/2 hours, your butt may not be able to take it.

Pirates, on the other hand was one of the most fun experiences I've had in a theatre since Serenity. The characters are all there from the first movie, even a lot of the secondary pirates from the first one that end up featuring prominently in the sequel. Depp is fantastic as Sparrow, natch, and Bill Nighy does a fantastic job as the squidilicious Davey Jones. I want to see this movie again just to get a better look at the design of the Flying Dutchman and all of her crew. I'm a sucker for cephalopods and things that live in the sea, so there wasn't much they could have left out of this one aside from a possible ninja attack. I don't understand where the people who aren't liking it are coming from. If you spend a lot of time looking to poke holes in the plot, sure, it might work, but if you just sit back and hang on for the ride, it works oh so very well.

Oh, sit through the credits if you do see it. There's a nice little treat at the end of them :)

Anyway, I'd recommend seeing both movies, and Cars if you're able. Pirates 2 is definately the one to see if you only have one movie dollar to spend though.

---
What I'm Reading: The Stupidest Angel
What I'm Playing: Blood Will Tell, Trauma Center
What I'm Watching: A news report on how to toilet train my kid in one day.

Yo! Ho! Ho! And a bottle of rum...

No comments: