Monday, June 19, 2006

I Hereby Renounce My Old Coot Status

My lifelong dream of being a cranky old coot has come to a crashing halt. I just had the worst lunch of my life and spent most of it on the receiving end of some old cootery.

The local Early Years Centre has an intergenerational lunch every year where they get together with the local Senior's Centre and everyone has a nice lunch. I figured it would be a nice way to spend the lunch hour with Garrett and maybe we'd meet some neat old people in the process.

Yarg.

First off, the lunch was late. Somehow the people who were making it thought lunch was at 4pm, not noon... oops. Then I was sat between two nice old ladies, or so I thought.

The one lady who sat next to Garrett was as sweet as could be and that was fine. It was the other lady who really ruined things.

As I sat down with Garrett she leaned over to me and said, "What are all these kids doing here? I thought this was just a meal for seniors. I have to put up with my great-grandkids enough as it is. I don't want to have my lunch ruined with these little kids running around and being noisy."

Ooooh boy. It was going to be a long lunch.

Garrett was actually pretty well behaved given that he was tired, hungry and stuck in a church hall with a lot of grumpy old people. Unfortunately, by the time the food arrived he was so tired and cranky (and full of cookies) that he just squirmed in my lap for a while before we left.

Shortly before we went to leave, the dance troupe from the local school showed up to do a performance for everyone. Halfway through the girls' first number, the cranky old bat sitting next to me leaned over and said, "I thought the kids were really loud and annoying, but this is worse!"

That was my cue to say my polite goodbyes and make my way for the door. We didn't even get dessert.

To show you the general old coot index of the room, when the girls started dancing to La Bamba, the gentleman a couple people down was asking why they were playing hard rock music.

Sigh.

---
What I'm Reading: Thinner
What I'm Playing: WoW
What I'm Watching: Not a whole lot

La la la la la la bamba!

No comments: