Wednesday, October 12, 2005

SSX: On Tour and my latest coma...

So I picked up the latest SSX game today... Thankfully I'd had it paid off at EB (huzzah for trade-ins!) and since their shipments weren't coming in anytime soon, I just got my money back and went over and picked it up at Walmart of all places.

Now I'm a huge SSX fan. I've been playing the series since it came out waaaay back in 2000 and SSX 3 is definately in my top 10 list of games. The fact that I haven't been able to spend near as much time on the ski slopes has made the game even more near and dear to my heart. They've done such a great job of simulating the feel and sounds of skiing and snowboarding in these games that while they're completely unrealistic, they are the closest to capturing the FEEL of the slopes, in my opinion.

That said, SSX: On Tour (aka SSX 4) is wierd. It's almost like playing Tony Hawk Underground on a ski slope. There's this veneer of surreality that is suffusing the game and makes it a very different beast from the previous 3. The part that I had the hardest time getting used to was the fact that rather than pick from a roster of eclectic characters and hit the slopse, you're now making your own personalized avatar and working your way up the ranks.

Like I said, it's Tony Hawk Underground but on skiis and snowboards.

Speaking of skiis, they've finally included the option to ski down these insane slopes. I haven't spent a lot of time with my ski character as the controls are just so... different. I'm getting used to the game again with my snowboarder and THEN I'll work on the ski bum.

Well, aren't you glad you waited however many days it's been since I updated for THIS? Sigh...

Suffice it to say, I had to sit through one of the most excruciatingly boring training sessions today and only the thought of hitting the virtual slopes afterwards kept me from slipping into a coma. Sadly, the subject matter was interesting. It was the meandering, tangential manner that the speaker delivered whatever his point was (and for nigh on 7-8 hours) that hurt so badly. Note to trainers: If you can't tell a joke well, don't bother... especially on the 80th try.

---
What I'm Reading: Five Seasons Of Angel: Collected Essays
What I'm Playing: SSX: On Tour, Ultimate Spiderman, Sly 3
What I'm Watching: Lost, Arrested Development: Season 1

No comments: