Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Which Island Was That, Exactly?

So my co-worker has returned from her sojourn to lovely Newfoundland (but not Labrador) and brought me some treats. First off, I have about a pound of moose meat. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to prepare it, but she did mention that I could just cook it like a steak, so I guess I'll really have to go get some propane for the BBQ now.

Secondly, she brought me a bottle of Screech. The last time she went to Newfoundland, she promised she'd bring me back a bottle of Screech but it was drunk (dranken? drunken? I hate the past tense of drink) before it arrived back in Ontario :P

So this time she was able to safeguard my bottle of Screech and I got it back to my house intact. I was looking at the label and something struck me as odd...

"REAL NEWFOUNDLAND SCREECH" the label bodly proclaims. It's even got a picture of a little clipper ship and an unemployed fisherman (hee hee). But a closer look reveals the startling truth.

"MADE IN JAMAICA. IMPORTED BY THE NEWFOUNDLAND LIQUOR COMPANY."

So rather than some crazy moonshine from backwoods Newfoundland, I've got Jamaican rum with a Newfoundland label on it. Maybe they concecrate it by dancing a jig around the casks when it arrives from the Carribean, but still...

Sheesh.

It is good rum though :)

No comments: