Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Merc With The Mouth Sightings

Well, this news just made my day. Well, the fact that my grandma is out of the hospital and seemingly fit as a fiddle made my day, but this made the comic-book-geek segment of my day.

Deadpool, AKA my absolute favourite superhero (and that's using the term hero very, very loosely) in the whole wide world, is going to be in the upcoming Wolverine: Origins movie. And to make things even better, Ryan Reynolds is slated to play him.



From Wikipedia:
"Nicknamed the "Merc with a Mouth", Deadpool is a high-tech mercenary known for his wisecracks, black humor, and satirical pop-culture references. Like the X-Men's Wolverine, Deadpool is the product of the Canadian government's paramilitary Weapon X program, although his place of birth is unknown. After Weapon X cured his terminal cancer by implementing a regenerative "healing factor" extracted from Wolverine, Deadpool is left disfigured and mentally unstable."


Woo! If any actor could pull off the type of crazy that is required to do Deadpool justice, I think Reynolds is the one to do it. I'm just curious if the film version of Deadpool will know that he's in a movie the same way that the comic book version knows that he's in a comic book. Just please, for the love of all that is good and holy, don't make him into the Ultimate version of Deadpool. Yarg.



On a sadder note, this week also marks the final issue of Cable & Deadpool. Sigh. On the other hand, the Wolverine vs. Deadpool fight is still going strong in Wolverine: Origins (he's trying to kill Wolverine with a piano, for crying out loud!) so I'll still have some Deadpool action to keep me going until he gets his own book.

So if you do go see that Wolverine movie when it hits and a crazy guy who can't seem to be killed steals the show, you can join the Deadpool fan train with me!

No comments: