Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Gaming Rundown

I haven't really ranted and raved about games lately so I figured that I'd do a quick rundown of what I'm working on and what's worth playing according to me.

Professor Layton & The Curious Village



This just came out today for the DS and I can't wait to spend the rest of the evening losing myself in the puzzles. It's got a great sense of style, the animation is done by Studio Ghibli of Princess Mononoke fame (only with a very European feel) and the puzzles have been cobbled together by some sadistic 300 year old Japanese professor with a penchant for breaking minds. I've only done the first 6 puzzles but there have been a couple tricky ones already. I'm scared about the ones later in the game!

No More Heroes



Just getting a copy of this game is worth a post in itself (I'll probably do this later in the week) but suffice it to say, it was worth the drive to Kitchener. If you have a Wii and want a very stylish, very crude but very fun ode to videogames, you must try this game out. Plus it's the closest you'll get to having a lightsaber game for the time being. Of course, if you hated Killer7, stay far, far away.

Sins Of A Solar Empire



I've only started working on this on over the last day or two but I am afraid of how much of my time it will suck up once I really get into it. It's a mixture of 4x galactic conquest (like Civilization) with Real Time Strategy controls (like Warcraft or Command & Conquer). I spent a bit of time on my first real game last night and found it to be very deep yet very user friendly. Of course, I got into a bit of a stalemate with the computer as I had occupied all of the solar systems except the one that AI controlled. I couldn't get into that system because he had about 400 ships waiting to blow me to pieces if I poked my nose in and he couldn't get out because I had blockaded all of the jump points and would take out the few ships he could send through at a time... sorry... getting nerdy there...

Suffice it to say, it was very satisfying and I've barely scratched the surface, let alone played online against my other SoaSE playing friends.

------------

And that's it for now. I've been plunking away at Burnout: Paradise and Rock Band as well, but I'm stuck on a couple songs in Rock Band and I can't seem to drive more than 5 feet in Burnout without wrapping my car around a tree. That said, I did have a really cool crash yesterday when I drove my little sports car underneath a bus and was able to drive it away, albeit in a much flatter state...

Lost Odyssey comes out this week and looks to be a great Final Fantasy knock-off in the best possible sense of the word. This will be Mistwalker's chance to wow me as I was really disappointed in Blue Dragon, though I'll probably try to finish that game off sometime soon.

No comments: