Saturday, June 09, 2007

When Good Ideas Go Bad

So I had to find something for Garrett & I to do this afternoon. We'd already spent the morning at the local safety blitz/fun fair at the fire hall (which was quite fun, to be perfectly honest) but I had from 1-5pm to find something to keep us occupied.

I had the brilliant idea to go to the dollar store, get a little bug-catching kit and then head out to a little river I know of nearby to go bug hunting. Garrett was stoked, we were slathered in sunscreen and fun was about to be had!

Until we got there and realized that the river had gone down a bit from the last time I'd seen it. Not only that, the exposed river bed was some of the suckiest, gloopiest mud I've ever had the mispleasure of stepping in. I almost lost my shoe and was sucked in up to mid-shin!

We tromped around the little field and found some stagnant, swampy water, chased a few frogs and generally got covered in disgusting muck and slime. We then washed off in a giant mud puddle beside the car. Garrett has never been that filthy before. On the upside, I didn't need an excuse to give him a bath!

I need to find a better bug collecting stream. I know where all the good creeks and ditches for bug collecting are... in Camlachie. Acton, not so much.

No comments: