Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Civic vs. Train

You may have seen this on the local news, but here's the skinny.

"An investigation is underway after a deadly collision between a car and a passenger train near Guelph.

Police say the car was struck by a Via Rail passenger train at a level crossing just west of Acton today.

The vehicle was pushed about a kilometre down the track.

No one on the train was hurt, but one unidentified woman in the car was killed.
"

I didn't see the actual accident happen, but I drove past the scene of the accident shortly after it happened. There were a lot of fire trucks, cruisers and ambulances on scene and officials were wandering up and down the tracks for a good hour or so after the accident. It was just outside of Acton (the Dublin Line crossing) which has no barriers but does have flashing lights and bells.

I was really surprised when I did see the train/car mess though. The train had pushed the car a good kilometer down the track. It took me a minute or two to realize that, no, someone didn't drive off the road and get hit there, they'd been dragged that far by the sheer momentum of the train as it came to a stop.

I think it may have been the first car/train collision scene that I have actually seen firsthand. It sucks that someone got killed, but I have to say that it also looked interesting, from a dispassionate "Ooo, a train crash" viewpoint.

I'm curious as to who the person who got hit was. The news said it was a 27-year old Acton woman. I wonder if I may have known her from around town, whomever she was.

---
What I'm Reading: Wanted, The Monstrous Regiment
What I'm Playing: WoW, Grandia 3
What I'm Watching: Nothing tonight (hello reruns)

No comments: