Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Blowing A Gasket

I took my car in for a check-up yesterday as the guys at the oil change place said there were a few things that needed checking by a real mechanic.

Am I ever glad I did. The strange noises and jerky movements I've experienced in the car lately weren't a result of too much spicy chili. It turns out that one of the gaskets was either blown or on the verge of blowing and the manifold has to be replaced.

Alas, the cost for the labour, parts and the inspection yesterday will come to about $600. On the upside, if I kept driving it the way it was, they said I'd end up blowing even more expensive parts of my engine out. It's sad when $600 is the cheap, preventative option...

Since I don't have a car to use today, I'm spending it cleaning out the boxes of stuff I've brought back from the storage unit over the past few weeks. Tomorrow is BIG GARBAGE DAY in Acton so I'd best get as much out as possible. I'm documenting the treasures I've unearthed in a thread over on Colony Of Gamers, if you're interested :)

No comments: