Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Harry's Got Tourettes

I just want to say that unlike my esteemed colleague, Jenn, I think that the few instances of salty language (really only one actual swear and a couple instances of Ron saying, "Effing") fit the events in the final Harry Potter book fine.

And I'll stand by my other claims that at best the last couple Harry Potter books are not kids books. They're young adult books that are bordering on being 'real' fantasy. Only the first three books can really be concidered traditional children's books.

Of all of the characters in the books, the Weasleys seem the most earthy of the wizards. They're really the rednecks of the Harry Potter universe and it didn't strike me as being out of character to hear the few instances of salty language being uttered by them.

That's just my thoughts on the matter. I almost cheered out loud during the scene when Mrs. Weasley utters the only actual swear in the book. Sure, it might make kids cry but it fit the circumstances perfectly.

No comments: