Tuesday, October 28, 2003

I just got back from Mrs. Akin's funeral. It was good, as funerals go. She was much loved and will be missed, but she also had a good long life and it wasn't sudden.

I did learn a few things though while at the funeral:

1) Don't wear an orange shirt and khaki pants to a funeral. You will stand out.

2) Don't wear an orange shirt to a funeral the week before Hallowe'en, especially if your brothers are there. They will proceed to call you The Great Pumpkin and ask where Charlie Brown is for the entire wake.

3) The latest episodes and merits of Six Feet Under or Dead Like Me (which I'd provide a link to if it weren't for the fact that Showtime doesn't realize that the internet is a global affair and has locked out access to their sites from non-US computers) are not the best topics for discussion at a wake.

4) Even if you haven't eaten for the past two days and have lost 10 pounds in a week, your mom and grandma will still yell at you if you take more than two desserts.

5) Having a lot of family and friends come to your funeral and celebrate your life is a good thing.

Ah... I blame Julie for the orange shirt though. I don't know why I thought I wouldn't be very noticable. Oh well. I guess I could say that rather than mourn the loss of Mrs. Akin, I was celebrating her homecoming in Heaven... YEAH! That's it...

Sigh.

No comments: