Wednesday, February 12, 2003

At least Jimmy Neutron wasn't in the friggin' animation category this year. I'm still miffed that it was nominated while the Final Fantasy movie was snubbed last year.

Spirited Away got nominated too, which rocks. I think they need to separate the traditional cel animation from the pure CGI movies (a la Shrek) in order to balance the two types of animation. One can use elements of the other, but to put an excellent anime like Spirited Away up against something like, say, Ice Age is not very fair for the anime, alas.

I guess Treasure Planet was nominated too. I liked that movie in concept, but it was really one of the first animated flicks I've seen lately that really didn't have anything to draw me in. There were a lot of beautiful pictures, but it was trying too hard to be a kiddie movie (which, I agree, it was, but Lilo & Stitch had more edge than 10 Treasure Planets combined).

No comments: