Thursday, July 25, 2002

Another great quote from Gamespot.

"...whenever I'm faced with some new gadget or program, I find myself intrigued and challenged to figure it out. I attribute this to my gaming habit (can it even be called a habit anymore?) more than anything else. Games constantly challenge me to think differently and to find ways around innumerable different challenges. No other form of entertainment does this as well as games do.

Our most widespread and accepted platform for entertainment is television, which is a passive experience through and through. Viewers sit still and absorb a steady flow of images and sound over which they have only the most basic of control. Considering the intellectual level that most popular TV shows are on, how are video games any less mature?

With games, you have much more control, as you are essentially projected into the experience by having an actual avatar that you use to navigate a game. Maybe some people are just too used to the idea of letting their television do all the work. "

No comments: