Monday, June 24, 2002

Hmm... This is an interesting tidbit.

According to my local EB manager, Warcraft 3 has a "street date" of July 3. Blizzard is being VERY strict about it and will not allow retailers to sell their copies of Warcraft 3 before that time, even though EB is getting in copies of the Collector's Edition tomorrow! That's a week in advance. This is kind of annoying since most of the time retailers have to wait until after the game was due out to receive their copies of a given game. This time the stores will have them up to a week in advance but can't sell any of them.

The interesting tidbit is that IF a store does jump the gun and start selling their copies early, they can either a) face fines and possibly lose their job or b) cause Blizzard to throw up their hands and scrap the release date and let the stores with copies in now sell now.

I've been somewhat recruited by EB to watch the various stores in the area to see if they'll jump the gun, since they would like to give me (and others) their copies of the Collector's Edition, but they don't want to get spanked and/or fired. Part of me would LOVE to get my hands on Warcraft 3 tomorrow, but I'm also aware of the fact that I'm moving in 4 days and have to pack and also play the snot out of Neverwinter Nights before I pack up my system...

So I don't actually mind waiting until next week.

Ah well.

No comments: