Monday, September 14, 2009

Scribblenauts aka Spelling Is Fun!

I managed to get my hands on a copy of Scribblenauts today (a day early) and Garrett and I sat down before I went out to donate blood to try it out.

If nothing else gets Garrett learning to spell, THIS game will. In a nutshell, it's a puzzle game on the DS that has you trying to solve little problems and puzzles using objects that you conjure out of thin air by spelling them out. There are something like 22000 different words in the game, so if you can think of something, there's a better than average chance that it's in the game.

For example, in the first puzzle, you have a policeman, fireman, chef and doctor. The puzzle wants you to put two objects that they might use into their hands. So the cop got a gun and the chef got a pot. Solved!

Well, you can go back and try to solve it 3 more times to truly master it. This is where it gets fun. We tried all sorts of different objects and things were going well until Garrett asked me to give the doctor a zombie.

The zombie went nuts and turned everyone else into a zombie. From this point on, Garrett's go-to solution for every puzzle was to drop a zombie in. Or a shark. Or a zombie shark (which, sadly, is NOT in the game). According to Julie, while I was off donating blood, Garrett was grilling her on the how-to methods of turning people into zombies.

That translates into another nomination for me for Father Of The Year, I suspect.

I've been having a lot of fun with the game so far and the fact that you can mess around with it and just drop all sorts of different things into the screen to see what they'll do is a hoot. I had God fight Cthulhu and God won. Then I had a polar bear fight the Egyptian sun god Ra and amazingly, the polar bear won. I'm planning on having a battle royale and pitting that polar bear against every deity I can think of until one of them takes him down.

Then the game will REALLY get interesting :)

No comments: