Sunday, May 16, 2010

As You Wish

At bedtime tonight, I fired up ye olde TV to put some cartoons on for the kiddies. What to my wondering eyes should appear but The Princess Bride on YTV. Since my kids didn't immediately scream for something different, I left it on and had the sheer pleasure of watching my kids experience my favourite movie in the whole wide world for the first time.

We came in just as Buttercup was pushing Westley down the hill so there is a significant part of the movie that the kids haven't seen yet. Kara was all over Princess Buttercup (ah, girls and their princess phases) while Garrett was shouting for Westly to kill the R.O.U.S. in the Fire Swamp... and seems inordinately interested in how one would design a machine to suck the life out of people.

I've wanted to show the kids The Princess Bride for a few years but always thought it was a bit too heavy on the witty dialogue for them to get into and enjoy. Thankfully those fears have been put to rest and I will rotate one of my multiple copies of the DVD into service in the near future.

No comments: