Friday, August 03, 2007

His Editor Needs A Machete

So after months and months and MONTHS of trying to slog through it, I finally finished Book 4 in George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice & Fire series last night. Yes, A Feast For Crows is finally ready to be returned to the pile of read books next to my bed.

I love this series but this particular book really tried my patience. It was just so dreadfully slow and, well, BORING that it took me since at least March or so of this year to finally read it. The sad thing is that the last 300-400 pages of the book are absolutely fantastic and right up there with the rest of the series. Unfortunately, you have to read 600 pages of the most mind-numbing plod through fantasy land to get to them.

It definately didn't help that during those first 600 pages only one of the characters was actually doing anything interesting. The fact that this particular book focused almost exclusively on the uninteresting characters, locations and events of the series didn't speed things along either.

I mean, Martin was somehow able to make Jaime and Cersei Lannister BORING! How do you do that?! Yeesh.

Ah well. The upside of taking so long to finish this book is that the next book, A Dance With Dragons, should be out soon (I hope). It has all of the characters and nifty places that I can't wait to read, so it should be worth the wait.

Now to go read some Edge Chronicles and the latest Artemis Fowl book to cleanse my palate.

No comments: