Thursday, April 29, 2004

It's like you're being swallowed by a giant worm...

So today, in the midst of gas prices at the 84.3 cents/litre mark, I found my favourite car wash in the GTA.

It's at the new Esso at the corner of McLaughlin & Highway 7 in Brampton.

Why is it my new favourite car wash? I'll tell you!

Nowadays, most of the car washes (around the GTA at least) are of the touchless variety. I've never really liked them because:
a) I miss the wiggle-woggles and huge spinning brushes that used to wash cars when I was a kid and
b) you always get stuck behind the person who insists on taking 5 minutes to drive out under the blowers at the end of the wash to ensure that every last drop is blown off their car.

Not any more my friends.

This car makes you drive into a little chain-boot assembly before you even get a chance to enter your wash code. Then you put your car in neutral and it starts to pull you in, but not in a smooth motion. As my title implies, it's like you're being swallowed. Very peristaltic, I must say.

A nice touch is that they have all these neon signs indicating which stage of the car wash you're at.

And the best part is that you'll never get stuck behind a blower-hog. The track continues under the blowers (and there are about 5 of them to blow everything off) and then right outside of the car wash proper, so even if you wanted to just sit there, you'd be back outside and no longer blocking traffic.

I still miss the good ol' fashioned wiggle-woggles though. The only car wash I can think of that still allows things other than bubbles and water to touch your car is the one in Sarnia at the Petro-Canada station.

Wow. I can't believe how unbelievably dorky this post was :)

No comments: