Friday, November 28, 2003

I spent my day off today at the 5-year anniversary celebration lunch down at Redeemer College for all of us CH folk that just can't escape its gravitational pull. It wasn't bad. I got to make fun of people and hang out with my bro-in-law who was also celebrating his 5-year anniversary with CH. Granted, that's 5 years of group home work. I did start my CH sentence, er, service back at the camp in 1993...

I also had to shake my head at the tech guys at Elmira. They were having trouble with the laptop/digital projector setup. They could boot up the laptop with the projector but were having trouble with some of the laptops as they weren't feeding out to the projectors.

The head IT guy was telling the various district office staff that it was a problem with the individual computers. Of course, then they come to me and I show them that it's not, it's just that you have to hit a couple key combos to let the computer know whether it's feeding to the screen, the projector or both. I learned that using the laptop/projector at church so when I was informed they were having the same problem I knew exactly what was wrong.

But it did disturb me that the HEAD IT guy, not just the guy who got MY JOB (grumble grumble), was blaming the hardware rather than knowing that simple function.

Oh well. I did network with a few of the homes in the Hammytown region to go and teach their staff how to use computers. I guess I'm doing a pretty good job in Halton Peel with my little courses... My manager had to tell everyone that she wasn't letting me transfer though, even though she saw lots of people getting my phone number :) I'm going to become the unofficial computer trainer for CH and then they'll just have to give me that coushy job at Emira!

No comments: