Saturday, October 11, 2008

Rancorous Temptations

Whoever thought up the Superhero Squad/Galactic Heroes toy lines deserves a medal for marketing and a boot to the head from my wallet.

Most of the toys on the market either look flimsy, look ugly or both. The ones that don't tend to be just borderline creepy instead. I'm looking at you, Bratz and other disturbing doll lines...

But the Superhero Squad and Galactic Heroes toys are both sturdy and insanely cute to boot. I've stuck mainly with getting the Superhero Squad toys because Garrett was really into superheroes for a long time there... And so was I.

Now that we have enough superheroes to save the universe 10 times over, I've started to cast my gaze towards the Galactic Heroes, which are the Star Wars equivalent of the Superhero Squad toys. These are even more cute in many respects, though there are a lot of repeats. Much like the way every third set of Superhero Squad toys would have Spiderman in one of his various costumes and doing a different pose, the Galactic Heroes toys have an abundance of Luke Skywalkers and Darth Vaders, though the Vader ones are neat (I even found one where his helmet comes off!).

I was at Toys R Us this morning with Garrett to get a snap-together TIE fighter model for us to work on. Unfortunately, it was way too expensive (I refuse to pay $20 for a snap-tite model!) and I also saw the cutest Rancor in one of the TrU exclusive sets...



I mean, the thing not only looks adorable but it can eat other toys! And poop them out! How awesome is that?

So suffice it to say, I broke down and got it for Garrett to play with and we've had fun with it today. They also had a 2 for 1 sale on lightsabers, so I got two for $10 and Garrett was able to have many a duel with both me and the little boy who lives next to Ralph & Louise. It was a small price to pay to keep Garrett occupied and running his little butt off all afternoon :)

Doing a bit more digging, I'd also love to find this set:



And I was sorely tempted by these two sets, but went with the uber-cute Rancor:


No comments: