Monday, August 21, 2006

Stinks on a Foot

*WARNING! GROSS CONTENT! AVERT YOUR EYES!*

Ok, don't say I didn't warn you.

Today I had one of those classic parenting moments.

We've been trying to potty train Garrett lately and our latest strategy is to give him a sticker whenever he sits on the toilet and does his business. This afternoon, shortly after waking up from his nap, Garrett staggered into the hallway and headed towards the washroom.

I asked him if he wanted to sit on the toilet and go to the bathroom and he nodded his head. I got everything set up and was taking off his diaper (which was very wet) when I noticed some poo on the diaper. So the following conversation ensued.

"Hmm. Looks like you had a bit of a poop in your diaper, eh Garrett?"

"Poop."

"Doesn't look like you have much on your bum. Ok. Onto the potty you go."

"Poop."

I had his shorts and diaper off and was lifting him onto the toilet. I took a step forward and that was when I felt my foot sink into something squishy that hadn't been on the floor a few seconds ago.

"EW!"

"EW! Ha ha ha ha. Daddy. EW!"

Yup. Garrett had, indeed, pooped in his diaper and I had somehow not noticed it fall out of the diaper and land on the bathmat when I took his shorts off. Suffice it to say, I spent the next 10 minutes or so scrubbing off my foot while Garrett chortled on the potty seat while saying, "EW! FOOT! DADDY! POOP!"

Sigh. At least I was able to say that I was so traumatized by the experience that I couldn't cook supper and we had some hot wings down at Kelsey's. Well, I had hot wings. Garrett had some noodles and Julie had fish & chips. Garrett also kept trying to steal my suicide wings so I dabbed a bit of the hot sauce on his tongue and he didn't really seem keen on trying Daddy's wings anymore.

No comments: