Wednesday, January 05, 2005

The Life Aquatic With Garrett & Brock

Garrett & I have had an action-packed last couple of days.

Yesterday we went to see The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou. It was the Stars & Strollers movie playing in Guelph.

I really enjoyed the movie. It is very quirky and odd and while I didn't find it laugh-out-loud funny, it was very amusing throughout. I mean, the soundtrack consists almost entirely of David Bowie songs... but all in Portugese. My favourite running gag was the fact that all of Steve Zissou's equipment is circa 1968. I thought it was set in the late 1960's but then they have a character show up about halfway through the movie who has a cell phone. And then there is Steve's nemesis who has equipment that is probably even better than current oceanographic equipment.

Then there are the weird sea creatures they find and the matching blue suit/red touque ensembles the Zissou crew wears, etc. etc.

I loved it. If you like things like The Royal Tennanbaum's, I think you'll like this. If you think that Kids In The Hall isn't funny and laugh uproariously at Friends, well, you might not like Life Aquatic.

Also along the aquatic theme, today Garrett & I went to our first swimming lesson. Garrett seemed to have fun. The pool in Georgetown is brand new and nice and warm. I was the only dad there :(

Garrett was the star pupil today as he showed everyone the advantages of choking after being submerged in water. Aside from having a belly full of pool water, he seemed to have a good time, especially when the rubber duckies were introduced. Garrett loves to chase rubber ducks in the tub; this was like a very big tub where you couldn't swim naked.

Unfortunately I had tied a knot in the bag I had our dry clothes in and Garrett was not amused after we got out of the pool. He had to lay there on the floor (next time I use the family change room, thank you very much!) and screamed his lungs out for a while until I finally got the knot undone. The good thing was that he was nice and tired and slept for about an hour while I drove around Georgetown and Acton.

No comments: